Community Pharmacy Foundation
We are looking for the next great idea to advance the practice of pharmacy in the community setting.

CPF is a non-profit organization dedicated to advancing community pharmacy practice and patient care delivery through grant funding and resource sharing.
Search Entire Site
Search Grants Only
Search Library Only
Like Us On Facebook!
Connect with us on LinkedIn
Like Us On Facebook!
HOME GRANTS/FUNDING REFERENCE LIBRARY CPF INSIDER ABOUT US CONTACT
LOGIN

CPF Grants
Grants
  Vision, Mission & Goals
Grant Applications
Grant Submissions Next Grant Submissions Due:
Midnight Wednesday, January 23, 2019 (Pacific Time)

The Grant Process: Discover | Apply
  Faculty | Practitioner | Residents
  Students | Others

Awarded
  All CPF Grants (186)
    -  In Study (25)
    -  Completed (161)
Toolkit
Journal Publications Journal Publications
Best Practices Best Practices

Categories
  Medication Management, Safety & Quality
  Therapeutics, Diseases & Populations
  Pharmacy Management & Ownership
  Profession, Academics & Economics
  All 'Categorized' Grants
  Focus Grants

Trending Grant Topics
  Care Transitions
  ACO
  PCMH
  All 'Trending' Grants
 

CPF Funds Are Available.. Learn More
  SUBSCRIBE TO CPF
COMMUNITY NEWSLETTER

First Name
Last Name
Email

To reduce spam, enter the
security code shown below.

Get new code


Current Community Newsletter
View Our October 2018 Newsletter Online
CPF FUNDED GRANT DETAILS

Who Did What to Whom Estimating the Relative Contribution of Pharmacists and Primacy Care Providers to Quality Measures.

  
Principal Investigator Matthew Pickering, PharmD RPh
Co-investigator(s) Ben Urick
Project Title Who Did What to Whom Estimating the Relative Contribution of Pharmacists and Primacy Care Providers to Quality Measures.
Grants Awarded Number 205
Status In Study
Organization Pharmacy Quality Alliance
Location Alexandria, Virginia
Grant Category Medication Management, Safety & Quality
Keyword Attribution to Care, Pharmacy
Grant Docs N/A
Objectives Primary care providers PCPs and pharmacists are at increasing risk for performance under value-based and alternative payment models which rely quality measurement to inform remuneration. Many quality measures used to evaluate PCP performance are medication-related and have potential for pharmacist impact. Little research has evaluated the relative contributions of PCPs and pharmacists to medication-related quality measures. The objective of this study is to estimate relative contributions of PCPs and pharmacists to variations in healthcare resource use, total costs of care, and select medication-related quality measures using a novel statistical tool, the residual intraclass correlation coefficient. Qualiy measures will be selected from the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System measure set as well as PQA-endorsed measures.We will conduct analyses using a Medicare 20% sample from 2011 2014, currently located at the University of North Carolina UNC Gillings School of Public Health Sheps Center for Health Services Research. These data were purchased for unrelated projects and are available for reuse at limited cost to UNC researchers. The datasets contain Parts A and B claims data and Part D event data for over 3 million Medicare lives annually. This proposed research fits well with the Community Pharmacy Foundations mission to assist community pharmacy by providing the resources to encourage new capabilities and continuous improvements in the delivery of patient care. A common problem community pharmacies face in negotiating with PCP offices on value-based contracts is determining the share of risks and rewards pharmacies should bear or receive. If there is found to be a substantial relative contribution of pharmacists to shared quality measures, results could be used to inform a risk sharing amount for pharmacy negotiations. For example, using this methodology, it may be determined that community pharmacists have a 15% impact on attributed patients medication adherence compared to 10% from PCPs. Therefore, the total share of variation would equal the sum of both PCP and pharmacist impact 25% with 60% 15%25% of the impact attributable to the pharmacist. Thus, in the context of a PCP-community pharmacist value-based contract, the pharmacist could use 60% as a starting point for negotiating shared risk and rewards.
Co-investigator(s)  

Ben Urick, PharmD PhD | UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The Community Pharmacy Foundation
Funding Since 2002 | Chicago Illinois
 
 
Home CPF Insider Terms Like Us On Facebook! Connect with us on LinkedIn Like Us On Facebook!
CPF Grants/Funding About Us Privacy
Pharmacy Reference Library Contact Us  
 
© 2018 All Rights Reserved | ISADEX Corporation | Stoughton, WI USA Community Pharmacy Foundation